A Physician's Approach to Total Health
My approach to total health is to focus on the whole person. Many times, people who are hurting on the outside are also hurting on the inside. Giving them hope and optimism as well as bandaging their wounds is part of my philosophy. Seeing the beauty in everyone and showing kindness to others, believe it or not, has been shown to boost your immune system! When people give up hope, their bodies frequently follow.
I am also a strong advocate of prevention. As a physician, I see many people who did not think they were worth the time or money to stay fit. I often see them when it is too late, they already have the heart disease or diabetes, the arthritis form being overweight, they feel exhausted and terrible and it is a long road to get them back to feeling well, often with the addition of many expensive medications. Sometimes they regain their stamina and zest, and sometimes they are just able to feel OK. It is sad and frustrating not to be able to do more for them.
It is very humbling and an honor to serve others. I was touched that people would put so much faith and trust in me and consider me as part of their families. It is a privilege to be able to help others like that and as I said I have always been honored that people would allow me to do so. The significance of that is more than I can put into words. It is also great to see people recover or improve their lives and satisfying to know that you are contributing to the world around you.
The "health care" system does nothing to encourage preventing disease, but in essence is all about curing or treating illnesses. It doesn't say - We'll lower your premiums if you agree to a committed exercise program, or if you take a class on healthy eating. It doesn't supplement the cost of participating in an exercise program - even if you have diabetes, heart disease or medical conditions that would benefit from exercise. Being healthy should be incentive enough to exercise, but most take it for granted. With insurance and medical costs rising, everyone should make the effort to take steps to keep themselves healthy. It's really easier and more economical than it seems.
I am also a strong advocate of prevention. As a physician, I see many people who did not think they were worth the time or money to stay fit. I often see them when it is too late, they already have the heart disease or diabetes, the arthritis form being overweight, they feel exhausted and terrible and it is a long road to get them back to feeling well, often with the addition of many expensive medications. Sometimes they regain their stamina and zest, and sometimes they are just able to feel OK. It is sad and frustrating not to be able to do more for them.
It is very humbling and an honor to serve others. I was touched that people would put so much faith and trust in me and consider me as part of their families. It is a privilege to be able to help others like that and as I said I have always been honored that people would allow me to do so. The significance of that is more than I can put into words. It is also great to see people recover or improve their lives and satisfying to know that you are contributing to the world around you.
The "health care" system does nothing to encourage preventing disease, but in essence is all about curing or treating illnesses. It doesn't say - We'll lower your premiums if you agree to a committed exercise program, or if you take a class on healthy eating. It doesn't supplement the cost of participating in an exercise program - even if you have diabetes, heart disease or medical conditions that would benefit from exercise. Being healthy should be incentive enough to exercise, but most take it for granted. With insurance and medical costs rising, everyone should make the effort to take steps to keep themselves healthy. It's really easier and more economical than it seems.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home